It’s that time of year again. It’s winter here, dark, cold, rainy and I want to hibernate here …

So I’m putting my blog on hold for a bit. Don’t worry! I promise to be back in the Spring, I just need a break.

Wishing you all the best, see you when the sun returns!🌞

Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

Clipboard Display

Following on from last week’s William Morris craft, I wanted to use more of the gorgeous papers.

Then I found this cute little clipboard for just $1.50 in a discount shop:

It was a no-brainer.

This paper is so beautiful, it was also a no-brainer, even though I am not generally drawn to yellow:

Add them together with glue:

A scalpel to trim the edges, and voila:

It’s the perfect spot for a to do list, a shopping list or a gorgeous art postcard like this beauty:

(Art postcard by Marg Thomson)

Posted in Craft Projects, Home DIY and Decor | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

William Morris Tray

A long while ago I bought a very scratched but pretty lacquer tray at the op shop for $2. I couldn’t repair it, so I spray painted it pink. It’s looking a little daggy so I figured it was time for an update!

Add a can of dark red spray paint and some William Morris wrapping paper….

First was to spray the tray. I only needed to spray the edges as I was going to decoupage the centre.

I chose this pretty pink and green paper, but it was a really hard decision!!! Mr. Morris is King of enduring, beautiful patterns!

I simply drew a circle on the back of the paper with a compass and cut it out.

Then my trusty mod podge to glue it down.

A quick coat of clear acrylic spray and this little makeover was complete.

I decided to display this in the bedroom, and I think it looks pretty cool.

Posted in Craft Projects, Home DIY and Decor, Upcycled Projects | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

June Bed Post

This month’s Bed Post is all about pink, red and blue. It’s my current colour combination of choice ❤️💗💙

It also features another recently created patchwork bedspread.

Posted in Bed Posts, Home DIY and Decor | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Blue Spatter Planter

This project is one of those things that I still cannot decide if it’s a success or a failure.

It certainly has not turned out in any way related to my vision, but I actually quite like it!

It all started at work. I work in an architecture studio, and they were doing a bit of a cleanup of cupboards, and lucky for me they were getting rid of a bunch of stuff, which I volunteered to take off their hands!

This included some alcohol based Pantone inks that were used for refilling markers the office no longer had.

Ohhh the colours just make me happy!

Obviously I intend to use them in my artworks, but I had also seen a few projects on Pinterest that used them to create beautiful watercolour like patterns and blooming, magical effects on ceramic and glass pieces. This involved straws for blowing the ink around and spray alcohol.

So I thought I would give that a go on a plain white planter I had using some blue colours.

I gathered supplies and covered my work space with a bin bag because I figured this process would get messy. Oh boy was it messy!

The beginning of the process involved brush he ink on and trying to blow it around using the straws. Much harder than it sounds.

Then I used the alcohol spray over the wet ink, which started to look really pretty!

But it sort of reduced itself to spatters and dribbles. Not really the look I was going for.

In the end I figured I had no choice but to continue with what I had going on, so I finished the planter and saucer and left it to dry overnight.

In hindsight I think the alcohol spray was a mistake, and it might have been a more successful project without it, but I’m actually quite liking the spatter effect. It reminds me of the beautiful Italian spatterware ceramics that my mother collected in the 80s, and which I hope one day to come across in an op shop or junk shop. Hasn’t happened yet, but I live in hope!

What do you think? Craft Fail? Or happy accident?

Posted in Craft Projects, Home DIY and Decor, Upcycled Projects | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

New Lampshade Makeover

This one was inspired by a sunset and my new studio makeover.

In the same style as a previous lampshade creation:

However, this lampshade (thrifted, of course):

Was much more textured and fluffy than the previous one I painted, so it came with a whole lot of new challenges!

Acrylic paint was still the right thing to use, and I started splashes of colour.

Some vaguely leaf and flower-shaped splodges as well, then just filling in the gaps.

Then the finer gold pattern. This was much harder than the previous one on which I’d used a fine gold paint pen. That didn’t work here. I tried a bunch of different pens before settling on gold ink and a fine (ish) brush.

It worked, although next time I would definitely choose a lampshade with a smoother surface!

Posted in Craft Projects, Decorating, Home DIY and Decor, Upcycled Projects, Upcycling | Leave a comment

Bed Post and Patchwork

I apologise for not having done a bed post for a while. Also for not being as regular with posting (any posts) as I usually am, I have been busy. Not an excuse I know, but it is a reason!

One of the things I’ve been busy with is this new Patchwork bedspread, all bohemian blues, greens and browns. The colours of the earth.

I’m really digging this one, it’s making my bedroom a happy place!

Posted in Bed Posts, Craft Projects, Home DIY and Decor | Leave a comment