Blue and White Tile Tray

In all my Pinterest-trawling of beautiful blue and white ceramics I came across this gorgeous blue and white tile tray (see photo at the bottom of this post) It was love at first sight, and I figured I could make something similar.

This was a pretty straightforward upcycle using decoupage.

I started with this tray I picked up at the op shop a few months ago.

I started by drawing some 90mm x 90mm squares on a piece of thick watercolour paper.

Then I copied or created blue and white tile designs onto the squares.

You can download sketches of my designs here: Tile Tray Designs

I copied over my pencil lines with a biro…. Frodo decided he could help.

Then I coloured them in with textas and watercolour pencils.

Then I gave the paper a few coats of acrylic gloss spray. The reason for this is my glue (Mod Podge) is water based and would wash off or at least smear my water-based-drawn images. The spray is oil based, and prevents any smeariness.

Then I cut them into their squares….

And glued them onto my tray.

I used outdoor mod podge for this because it is thicker than normal, and strong enough to keep the thicker paper glued down.

Then I just varnished over the top!

I’m pleased with the result. It’s not exactly the same as the original inspiration:

But I’m happy with my copy!

About Aixie

Artist Crafter Interiors Addict Crazy Cat Lady
This entry was posted in Craft Projects, Home DIY and Decor, Op Shopping, Upcycled Projects, Upcycling and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Blue and White Tile Tray

1. lacier77 says:

Wow! You did an amazing job! I’m super impressed!!! And a fraction of the cost!

2. Omg! I love this! Once I began reading and found out they weren’t tiles, I had to go back several times and stare at the picture because I wasn’t convinced they weren’t tiles! Job well done 🙂 I love upcycling, there’s a certain kind of satisfaction in repurposing and recreating, especially at a fraction of the cost.

• Aixie says:

Ha! That brought such a smile to my face, thank you!
      I’m TOTALLY with you on the joys of upcycling and creating something gorgeous from something someone discards. Especially when, with a bit of ingenuity, you can do it for very little money 🙂
      Thanks heaps for following my little blog!

3. What a beautiful tray! Great idea!

4. La Femme says:

Wow! This is such a great idea!

5. Pingback: My Tile Tray : Featured in Woman’s World Magazine! | Aixie's Space

6. Nancy says:

Congratulations, Aixie!

7. carole says:

where d o I find a design template? would make great gift with matching coasters.
    carole

• Aixie says:

Hi Carole
      I haven’t put together a design template, I originally just drew these freehand as I did it.
      Leave it with me and I’ll see what I can come up with!

• Cathy says:

This will make a great family project! I really love the craft idea but I am all thumbs when it comes to drawing. Therefore, some simple design templates would be VERY much appreciated.

• Aixie says:

No problem, I’ll work on it and let you know when I’ve put them up on the site!

8. Cathy says:

Thank you very much for the sketches!

9. Nancy says:

Yes, thank you, Axie! Your sketches are fantastic and so easy for non-artists (such as yours truly) to copy. I’m still smiling at Frodo’s tail; that photograph deserves more recognition. Cats of Instagram, perhaps?

• Aixie says:

You’re welcome!
      Frodo’s tail is just too fluffy!!!! I should post that on Instagram- I do post quite a few pics of the fur-kids on Insta! Feel free to follow me @alexandrafelgate if you haven’t found me on there yet 😸